Going to a wedding expo can be lots of fun but also very overwhelming. I always say that a wedding expo is like going to a shopping centre just for bridal couples and very shop is of interest to you. So, to get the most out of your visit to a local bridal showcase, I have put together my Top Ten Tips to help you navigate your way through the expo.
TOP TEN TIPS
1. Plan Ahead. This one sounds simple, but it will really help you narrow down the weddings supplier stands you need to visit. Do you need a wedding photographer? Marriage celebrant? Have you got your hair and make up artist yet? Make a list of suppliers you need.
2. Ask Questions. Instead of being put on the spot, work out a list of questions to ask each supplier. For example, if you were to ask a wedding photographer questions, maybe they might be something like this. "If I book with you, are you my photographer, or do you have other photographers working for you?" Have specific questions for each supplier beforehand, so you can find the right one for you.
3. Save the date. You may have just recently become engaged so you probably won't have a date set yet, but visiting wedding expos is a whole lot easier if you have a date set for your wedding. Many of the wedding suppliers will have specials just for the expo, and you can save hundreds of dollars off your wedding by booking at the expo or not long after. So, if you haven't made a date yet, sit down with your fiance work out a date for your big day.
4. Create a unique wedding email address. You'll want to leave your information with vendors, but you don't want to keep getting wedding information long after your wedding day. So by setting up a wedding email, you can ensure that all the messages being sent to that account are for weddings only, and you can cancel the account down the track.
5. Take a photo of the wedding suppliers stands that you love. It's hard to remember who was who on the day and you don't want to get confused about which suppliers you want for your wedding day. By taking a photo on your phone, it will help you sort through your short list at the end of the expo.
6. Watch the fashion parade. Fashion parades at expo are a great time to sit and relax and get some styling inspiration. Not only are there beautiful gowns and suits on display, but you'll also see different hair styles, make up and flowers.
7. Get to know the wedding suppliers. Don't just rush through the expo, take the time to look closely at wedding suppliers stands and have a chat with them. As a wedding photographer, I think it's not only important to love my photos and photography style, but also click with me as a person. We'll be spending alot of time together on one of the most important days of your life, you want to hire someone that feels like a friend at your wedding.
8. Make appointments to visit showrooms and studios after the expo. If you like what you see at the expo and need more information before locking in a supplier, then make an appointment to visit them after the wedding expo. I have a studio at Currimundi and take appointments weekdays from 10am through to 7pm at night.
9. Stay Hydrated. Especially in the Summer months, it can be tiring hot work, so don't forget to bring your water bottle.
10. Go over all the details of the expo that night. While the wedding expo is still fresh in your mind, go over the details that night. Get rid of any brochures of suppliers that you don't like and make notes about the ones you think you are a match for and send them an email for more information.
Wedding Expos and Bridal Showcases are lots of fun! Make a day or it and enjoy it with just your fiance or bring your whole bridal party.
For more information on planning your wedding, download my free eBook, A Complete Guide to Planning Your Wedding on the Sunshine Coast.